Volta Trucks, a hypergrowth European Electric Truck Manufacturer, is looking for a Design Engineer to join our Product – Body & Trim department. This is a hybrid role split between our head offices in Reading, remote working and our contract manufacturing partners facility in Austria.
This is a unique opportunity to join an ambitious scale-up where you will have the opportunity to contribute to the manufacturing strategy for a forward thinking, rapidly expanding business.
What you will do:
- You are the CEO of your parts/commodities and must do what it takes to deliver these to cost, weight and timing.
- Responsible for the 3D/2D CAD design development, execution, and delivery of all assigned parts/commodities to key program dates
- Ensure that parts designed must meet their functional, cost and weight requirements
- Responsible for the 3D modelling of structural parts with PMI and/or 2D drawing creation.
- Be integral in interactions with the CAE team and interpret results to meet all simulation requirements including but not limited to Regulatory (Certification), Safety, NVH, thermal, Deflection, Durability, Abuse and Fatigue.
- Coordinate with manufacturing groups on mass production assembly solutions, assembly sequence, and part feasibility to ensure the design and parts are fit for build’s needs
- Responsible to ensure all parts which they have designed are feasible, meet the system tolerances and that all interfaces are agreed and signed off before release
We would like you to have:
- Likely to be degree qualified (or equivalent) in an engineering discipline.
- An expert CAD user, ideally experienced in Catia V5/6 Enovia 3DX who has ideally used CAE analysis tools
- Experience in Automotive or Cargo Box coach building.
- Knowledge of joining technologies including: Bonding, bolted joints, rivets and Welding.
- Knowledge of materials and finishes including: Sandwich panels, aluminium alloys, steel alloys, composites, e-coat and anodising
- Knowledge of material production methods including: Robotic assembly, hand assembly, extruding, sandwich panels, sheet metal fabrication, CNC machining, pressings, composites and sheet moulding compound
Our culture and Valued Behaviours
- We are a scale-up, so structures and processes can be new and constantly evolving.
- We are a diverse business, from many nationalities and backgrounds.
- We really value our people. We have a flexible & remote work environment and a great benefits package & pension scheme.
- You will have a genuine opportunity to make an impact on the business and society as a whole.
- You should closely share our values of safety, sustainability, and electrification.
- Be adaptable, resilient, and open to change
Urban delivery is currently one of the most polluting activities in our cities. Traditional diesel trucks continue to pollute the air, and cause health and safety challenges to residents, while bringing necessary goods into city centres, because there hasn’t been an alternative. Until now.
Volta Trucks has developed the first ground-up full-electric commercial vehicle, paired with an innovative and highly disruptive business model. Founded in 2019, and having raised €300M of funding to date, we are bringing the full-electric Volta Zero to market at industry-leading pace and scale to help accelerate the transition to a sustainable future.