Volta Trucks, a hypergrowth European Electric Truck Manufacturer, is looking for a Chief Engineer – Body & Trim to join our Product – Vehicle Concepts & Body Engineering department. This is a hybrid role split between our head offices in Reading, remote working and our contract manufacturing partners facility in Austria.
This is a unique opportunity to join an ambitious scale-up where you will have the opportunity to contribute to the manufacturing strategy for a forward thinking, rapidly expanding business.
What you will do:
Leads the team Body & Trim engineering department, being responsible for all Volta Trucks product lines and projects.
- Ensuring all systems and components within the Body & Trim function are delivered robustly via the Volta Trucks program development process together with all applicable vehicle objective and subjective attributes as well as cost, timing & quality requirements.
- The Chief Engineer is a true technical leader and expert in their area of responsibility, with an in-depth knowledge and extensive experience in product design, engineering and delivery for body structures, interior & exterior trim, closures, and functional systems.
- The scope of the role covers all projects & vehicle adaptations from initial product concept, product development, launch, series production and field vehicle issue resolution.
- Define & lead the vision of system and component technology roadmaps for future vehicle projects within the Body & Trim field, including new material and process technology developments.
We would like you to have:
- Mechanical, systems or automotive engineering degree – 2:1 or above. (or equivalent technical qualifications).
- Excellent organisational, data management & visual communication skills.
- A committed, logical team worker, happy in a cross functional environment with a variety of backgrounds and skillsets.
- Ability to demonstrate experience of Tier 1 supplier delivery & project management of a major vehicle program with an APQP or similar framework.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in automotive, aerospace or equivalent.
- Experience of high volume and niche vehicle (low volume) programmes.
Our culture and Valued Behaviours:
- We are a scale-up, so structures and processes can be new and constantly evolving.
- We are a diverse business, from many nationalities and backgrounds.
- We really value our people. We have a flexible & remote work environment and a great benefits package & pension scheme.
- You will have a genuine opportunity to make an impact on the business and society as a whole.
- You should closely share our values of safety, sustainability, and electrification.
- Be adaptable, resilient, and open to change
Urban delivery is currently one of the most polluting activities in our cities. Traditional diesel trucks continue to pollute the air, and cause health and safety challenges to residents, while bringing necessary goods into city centres, because there hasn’t been an alternative. Until now.
Volta Trucks has developed the first ground-up full-electric commercial vehicle, paired with an innovative and highly disruptive business model. Founded in 2019, and having raised €300M of funding to date, we are bringing the full-electric Volta Zero to market at industry-leading pace and scale to help accelerate the transition to a sustainable future.